Wednesday, May 20, 2009

35 mph standards in American auto industry

I will step aside from the normal saber rattling of my political party to support the increase in fuels standards of American automobiles stated by President Obama this week. Personal responsibility and preference notwithstanding, (we Americans love our muscle cars), I have long stated that if not a conspiracy, certainly a collusion exists in this country that has long kept fuel economy lagging behind European and Asian markets.

I simply do not agree that in the end we will be driving Yugo size smart cars, tiny clown type vehicles that are the current laughing stock of pop culture. In order to achieve these new standards, an average of 35 mpg, higher in cars, lower in trucks/suv's, there will not need to be complete overhauls to vehicle forms.

Vehicles will need to weigh less accomplished using stronger, lighter polymers for the body and frames. Some accessories will be need to run off rechargeable batteries like air conditioning and radios. This is not a monumental feat. Its a rewiring of the vehicle. Obviously engines will take the brunt of this new standard and unfortunately the only truly effective way to increase fuel economy is less horsepower, ergo smaller motors.

The President picked the right political moment for his new strategy. The auto industry is beholden to congress for it's very life. Like it or not, it's adapt or die. I think they have the means to accomplish the fuel measures by the deadline of 2016. And that brings us to the rest of the plan.

I have not drank all the kool aid put out with this news. I like the fuel standards but think tying this to lowering current carbon emmissions by a third is overstepping. Concerted efforts have been in place for a decade to lower the emmissions of all automobiles and long strides have been made. New cars are dramatically more friendly to the environment in this regard. To dimiss all the work that has been done so far and reset the bar one-thrid from today I think is the one aspect that I think was I think it is incredibly naive to state part of this concept. I think it more appropriate to discuss emission standards based on what has already been accomplished.

The Presidnet stated that his goal is to reduce not only our dependence on foriegn oil but will not allow drilling in our own country. Nor will his administration look to nuclear power as a means to reduce oil and coal for heating. His own party, led by Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-Mass.) has tried to stop wind power stations for no other reason than they are a blight when sailing. So when I hear from the current administration and his colleagues that a stated goal is to reduced dependancy on foriegn oil, excuse me while I disbelieve.


I do not believe this was a good time to push this agenda, nor do I think that the attached propaganda of

No comments: