Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Power Hour

I have a five year old son who thinks that when the sun goes down early, it must be Christmas. So in the middle of October, yes almost a month ago, he and I strung about 500 Christmas lights up on the house. I stood my ground on putting up more strands or the yard displays and tree arrangements. We will do that this weekend.

He was so excited to stand on the ladder and wrap strands around nails. He stayed by me the entire time, pointing, holding, giving directions. He promised me we would do this together every year. Every night he comes home to see his 'pretty lights' glowing.

I on the other hand worried my neighbors would think I was an idiot for putting up Christmas lights before Columbus Day. However in defense, how often is it that our children get so excited to do something with their parents. I know that maybe as soon as next year, that stringing lights will be my solitary job once again.

Christmas lights don't take up a tremendous amount of power but be smart about their usage. Turn your lights on within about 15 minutes before your family usually drives up to the house at night. If your kids are in the house before it gets dark then I'd suggest just turning them on before you get home, so you can see your handy work. Unless your having a competition with your neighbors I see no reason to keep them on past 10pm or midnight. Right now my outdoor lights are on for one hour for when the family gets home and then a few sightings as my boy runs from downstairs to upstairs.

Timers are a blessing for this task. Get a timer for the outdoor lights and one for the indoor lights and Christmas tree. There is no reason to increase your power bill with useless light comumption when no one will appreciate it.

No comments: