Thursday, March 22, 2007

Compass Points Right

Far to often we fine normal upstanding citizens of a wonderful country simply sleepwalk through its daily progression. Our perception becomes reliant on 30 second sound bytes and video feeds from sources biased at best and uninformed at worst designed to make you feel a prescribed way instead of giving rationale intellectual discourse. Far to often its easier to adopt someone else's opinion instead of making your own.

Some people consider conservativism a cope out. That we think only about ourselves and our greedy little nest eggs instead of being empathetic of the down trodden and less fortunate. That business is the king of our lives. Being 'carbon neutral' is not as important as being filthy rich. In some conservative leaders that is true. in some forms of media it makes that point of view counter to all other facts.

The heart of the conservative party is not the far right fringe, nor is it the moderate center. Its a thriving class of people who want to more of the money they earned and less of the interference from people who think they know whats best to do with that money. Its people who want an American car that gets over 40 miles per gallon city but has enough room to sit a family and carry their grocery's and sports gear. Its people who want to find the environmental medium between building an oil refinery anywhere in this country and maintaining habitats and hiking trails at the same time. Its people who think a nation founded on God but ruled by law has become over run with lawyers trying to rule by law and dismiss God.

I have a compass, several actually. But only two are most valuable to me; the physical one in my hand leading me to my destination through the the beautiful environment I care so deeply about and the moral own that guides my head and my heart through many interesting observations.

My compass points right.

1 comment:

drbubba said...

This should be an interesting blog to follow because I also tilt to the right, BUT my PhD is in petroleum engineering.

I look forward to reading.